All About 









By Jenna Boardman




March 29th, 2019


What is D.A.R.E.?


D.A.R.E. is a drug abuse resistance education program that teaches youth about how to make smart choices when it comes to making decisions in there life. It is first taught to children in grade six, and is taught in many schools all across the world. Children will be taught an eleven week program, at the end of the eleven weeks they would of covered all the important topics such as, drug and alcohol abuse and awareness, peer pressure, bullying, and even cannabis education.


Why is D.A.R.E. important?


D.A.R.E. in my opinion is the most important part of a grade six education, and should continue to be taught for many years in the future. Without the dare program there would be many children that would go into junior high with very little knowledge on how to deal with situations involving drugs, alcohol, peer pressure and many more issues in their day to day life. Although they are in a safe community unfortunately they will most likely encounter many situations like these. Therefore, it is extremely important to have the right knowledge to deal with those situations.





Who teaches D.A.R.E?


D.A.R.E. is taught by a selected Royal Newfoundland Constabulary officer here in Corner Brook. Once the officer is chosen, they will be responsible for teaching the program for the full duration, which is usually 4 years. Since the program has started, over 70 000 police officers have taught the program to over 200 million children all across the world.


When did D.A.R.E. start?


D.A.R.E. was first introduced in 1983 in Los Angeles, California. The D.A.R.E. program has been spreading all across the world ever since. It has impacted the lives of many youths, and will continue to do so as it continuously grows.


My experiences with D.A.R.E.


As being a graduate of the D.A.R.E. program I can truly say that without this program I wouldn’t be where I am today. The D.A.R.E. program has helped me make the right decisions in life, and will continue to help me throughout my teenage years. By using what the D.A.R.E. program has taught me about making the right decisions, not only am I now a representative for the international D.A.R.E. youth advocacy board, but a role model for the youth who may need help making the right decisions. I will forever have the knowledge that the program has given me, and I honestly don’t know what I would do without it.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winter Sports In Corner Brook